[AusNOG] My Predictions for the ISP Industry

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed Mar 14 13:17:43 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 12:54 +1100, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> Actually it is far worse that just us Noel.
>

> APNIC, not .au is out of IPv4.

Correct, I didn't think I needed to state the obvious..

> This means 1.2 billion Indians, 1.4 billion Chinese, and the hundreds
> of millions of others in the 50+ economies APNIC supports.
>

> I think 3 billion people being out of IPv4 will bring forward the
> adoption of IPv6 - but it will still be a while.
>
> With IPv6 being turned on permanently on the main websites of
> Facebook, Google, Bing, etc... in June, this will start to drive many
> businesses to follow... and when v4 starts to break, have billions of
> people yelling.

Great so 3 billion people can use facebook (god help them), Google and
Twitter, be a lonely place wont it... hell, even a couple of the largest
IRC networks dont use ipv6, nor even the BBC or CNN. Dunno bout you, but
I have NO intentions of living on facebook, I try not to even visit it.

(that reminds me, well done to qpsmedia for no longer making us to go to
facebook for extended details on your tweets)

> Australia is nothing in the scheme of things here.  There are
> estimated 500 million new people going to be joining the
> internet/social media in Asia this year with the advent of cheap smart
> phones... it is things like this which force/push along adoption of
> IPv6, not anything we do in our backwater of 22million.

And what percentage of AP region only talks to themselves?
If I was issued with only a 6 address tomorrow, I might as well turn
everything off for a  few years.
But because the largest ISP's in au have had the sense to stockpile
ipv4, I doubt I'll have to do that :)