[AusNOG] My Predictions for the ISP Industry

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Wed Mar 14 10:44:16 EST 2012

On 03/14/2012 10:28 AM, Mark Newton wrote:

> It ain't 2005 anymore, son.
>
>   >  Billions and a few others maybe, anyone got more accurate details on
>   >  excactly what is still incomplete with CPE for home/soho users?
>
> The AVM FritzBox is pretty good for SOHO.  Everything you'd ever
> want in one box.  The high-end version counts as pretty good NBN CPE
> too.
>
>    - mark
I have a fritzbox and internode
put @ipv6 into the username field (i think they default to ipv6 for new
customers now?)
and then everything was automatically working on ipv6.
my 11.10 install uses ipv6 for freenode and I presume other stuff, my
wifes android phone gets a v6 address and does v6 browsing again out of
the box, her windows 7 machine does the same.

 From an end user perspective the only thing i had to do was ask for
ipv6 and since then its been completely transparent.

The biggest issue I can see is the firewall now really needs to be a
firewall, NAT provides a great deal of protection for end user
computers, if somebody finds a way past a billion ipv6 firewall in a few
years then bad things could be happening shortly afterwards.