[AusNOG] My Predictions for the ISP Industry

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Wed Mar 14 02:52:59 EST 2012

> But, it will take most ISPs a year or two to fully integrate IPv6 into
> their networks, and those who haven't started doing it yet, might as well
> be planning to shut down their businesses because in the next year or two,
> it will be too late...

Really? In which decade do you think that facebook.com, yahoo.com,
twitter.com and google.com will stop returning an A RR? And what is
their incentive for doing so?

You need to explain why a business would voluntarily stop listening to
IPv4 traffic and why ISPs would stop carrying it.

If you have no explanation for that, then what has any ISP got to lose
by just carrying IPv4? After all, it gets to everywhere and probably
will do so for a very long time into the future.

The big problem is that turning off IPv4 has no value-add and turning
on IPv6 has no value-add, so no one cares to do either. Ergo,
IPv4-only systems will continue to work for the foreseeable
future. That means there is zero imperative to support IPv6.

I'll be proved wrong when any major website discards their A RR web
site and only advertise an AAAA web-site. Any volunteers? Apnic? Arin?
ICANN? eintellego.net? Jut curious. If IPv6 is such a hit, when do you
guys plan to drop your IPv4 RR?

Mark.