[AusNOG] [off-topic] Computer off, save power...simple stuff.

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Sun Mar 11 20:06:49 EST 2012

On 03/11/2012 01:37 AM, Christopher Pollock wrote:
> What kind of OS bloat (or horribly populated msconfig->startup) could
> cause machines of that spec to take so long?  My old core2 on win7U is
> boots from power button to usable in under two minutes, and it's got
> every post check in the world turned on.  Glad I'm not responsible for
> _that_ SOE.
I'm not too sure the specific cause, i probably shouldn't have been
watching as closely as i was.
It was a *little* long in the tooth in the XP loading screen, then spent
most of its time in "applying computer settings" with the hdd light
solid on, the network light was flashing regularly, so i don't know if
that means regular data xfer, or if its one of those irritating ones
that just blink the light slowly when any data is crossing it.

I got her to reboot twice and it was the same both times so i doubt it
was updates or any other such.

> Seriously though, this happens.  I read an article by a guy who got
> reamed for not being functional until 9:20am because his ancient
> computer was so slow.  Management refused to pay for upgrades, and
> demanded instead that staff turn up 20 minutes earlier in order to be
> 'ready to work' at 9am. So people logged OT, which they subsequently
> denied.  IIRC a fair few people quit after that..
In many places the employees sue the company for back pay and win.
She gets in trouble if she is 20 seconds late signing into the phones
after a break, so this is in no way a give a little get a little
arrangement.
Thankfully she will be moving to new employment in the near future.

A place where I run the IT systems. I know if it was any more than 2
minutes from power to running I'd be sacked lol.
My personal power saving system implementation is I tell everybody to
turn their computers off when they are done with them, except on
Wednesdays, some of their computers stay off for 4 days out of 5, think
of the power savings ;->.