[AusNOG] Water in Fibre cables

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Fri Mar 9 11:16:29 EST 2012

On 03/09/2012 10:48 AM, Michael Christie (micchris) wrote:

> ·/whether moisture directly against a fibre changes the refractive
> index of the fibre to an extent that communications is affected./
>
> Unless the moisture somehow penetrates the glass, no. Fibres are
> constructed with a coaxial core and cladding both made of glass with
> different refractive indexes. The internal reflective boundary (that
> keeps the light inside the core) is between the grades of glass, not
> an external  glass/air boundary.

The main issue I see would be at cable joins, that's where stuff always
seems to go pear shaped.

> ·/The construction profile of fibre cables being laid by the NBN from
> the exchange (redundant term in the NBN world??) to the home./
>
> I remember in a previous life specifying optical cables with an
> armoured housing designed to resist burrowing wombats….
>
> Not sure NBNCo is going that far.
>
> Mike.

I hope they are in rural areas, they dug out the foundations of my
grandmother in laws house ;->
You know one of the reasons the new power lines they are running are all
twisted together is because Cockatoos don't like to sit on them and chew
the wires (as they do for the current ones)

Does anybody know where one could find what the physical in ground
layout of the NBN is?
IE how does the cable/data get from one of the POP's to a customers
premises?