[AusNOG] 100G/200G/400G coming down the pipe (so to speak)

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Thu Mar 8 10:05:20 EST 2012

On 07/03/2012, at 8:23 PM, Paul Brooks wrote:

> This probably more 'engineering' than 'operations', but for those with an interest in
> the future technology roadmap -
>
> Ciena have announced a coherent optical processor chipset supporting 100Gbps, 2 x
> 100Gbps, up to 400Gbps per DWDM optical channel, and spectral shaping to squeeze
> optical channels closer together than the standard ITU grid.

I think the exciting part about what's happening in DWDM at the moment is the move from grid-based channel selection to grid-less.  No more burning entire 10G lambdas on sub-rate services (FC8, I'm looking at you).  I think someone from Ericsson that presented on this at Commsday last year?  Very interesting stuff.

Just wish it was more widely available and not as financially damaging ; )  I guess 50Ghz Channels will have to suffice for now.

Ben.