[AusNOG] [off-topic ?] FSFE launches Campaign For A Free Android System

ComKal Networks admin at comkal.com.au
Thu Mar 1 18:52:07 EST 2012

Hi Lloyd,

> It won't gain ground.

In the real world you are probably right.

> Last I checked, Android was built on a not-sufficiently-free-for-the-FSF Java that was being sued into the ground by Oracle.
> http://www.fsf.org/news/oracle-v-google

And Oracle have already lost 75% of there traction, and it looks like another
20% is about to hit the oil. <http://www.groklaw.net/>

> and the FSF wasn't too approving of Android in general
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/android-and-users-freedom.html

Which is part of the reason for the push to break open Android :)

The way that Google did it was I think a trade off between the concept,
getting it to market, and minimising start costs. It could have been something
that just sunk. Yes it is a shame it wasn't done truely open sourced.

> So the FSF has given up on trying to make the Android OS properly free,
> their Replicant Android-alike isn't going anywhere much since firmware
> is hard and deployment is hard and reliability is impossible and even
> the carriers can't ship Android updates, and so the FSF is going after
> the application developers instead by inciting user pressure, since
> being open on top of a-closed-you-can't control is about all they can
> hope for at this point?

So sometimes you make do with what you have and work with it.

> But won't open applications with source lead to more lookalike applications
> and malware in the various Android stores?

A lot of depends there, far to many for a simple email reply.

> "We want Free Angry Birds with Source!"

I dont, though the physics engine code might be neat to look at :)

Cheers
Ian Manners
ComKal Networks Australia