[AusNOG] "All your router devices are belong to us"

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at nextdc.com
Sat Jun 30 21:29:08 EST 2012

***NOT FOR NON-LIST CONSUMPTION OR REFERENCE***

Macca,

Come on - seriouslyŠ :)

Yes - people should have an understanding that their traffic can be forked
if in the case of lawful interception.  That is commonly understood.
No - people don't expect their telco to fork traffic to third parties
without your EXPRESS permission (not some bubble-wrapped user agreement).
That is not commonly accepted and has legal hairs all over it without an
interception requirement (Geoff Huston has pointed this out)
No - people don't generally understand that Cisco and all US organisations
are covered by the Patriot Act and potentially they maybe required to
lawfully enforced to intercept customer data/control devices from afar
without the user ever knowing and regardless of what the Australian laws
state.  I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just saying this is how it is.
No - the US (and Australia for that matter) would not allow its Government
to have certain Asian companies manager their routers and switches for
them so I wonder how this is going to get managed when same Asian
manufacturers offer the same thing to the tens of millions residential
modems of all the Government employees at home.  I'm not saying this is a
bad thing, just that this is how it is.
No - Society hasn't yet woken from the sleep walk into privacy
obliteration through the use of bubble-wrapped user agreements providing
corporations with all the rights, including washing away consumer
protection laws in the name of progress.  I am saying this is a bad thing.

People have certain expectations in terms of privacy regardless of the
protections (or lack of) afforded by law.  It's time some serious consumer
protections get implemented here in Australia so that the law catches up
with reasonable expectations of the punter.  The use of bubble-wrapped
end-user agreements are great, but not when privacy protection is
steam-rolled in the process.

Cheers

[b]

PS:  These are my personal views.