[AusNOG] Single Windoze virtual desktop

Sean K. Finn sean.finn at ozservers.com.au
Thu Jun 28 11:33:00 EST 2012

Windows Server 2008 can have desktop-experience components turned on, so much so that it looks and feels like Windows 7 even with Aero Glass look and feel.

In my opinion under the hood they are functionally equivalent, just with different registry tweaks to make them more server oriented rather than desktop oriented. (E.g. TCP sliding window sizes are smaller on Server editions so that many many users get a more equitable share of resources when serving, things similar to that, just tweaks.).

Unless your software is specifically written to NOT run on server 2008 R2, and there are some apps out there that really really won’t run, not even in Compatibility Mode as XP SP3, for example, then you should be fine.

Normal things like Chrome etc all run fantastically well, Speedtest.net, flash, everything should pretty much work on Server 2008 R2.

-Sean.