[AusNOG] Telstra's Texan Teaser - Tin Foil Stetsun anyone?

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Wed Jun 27 13:17:02 EST 2012

Somehow we've managed to cross a dangerous line in the last few years. It used to be that carriers operated under the ethos, if not the regulatory framework, of a common carrier. These days it seems to be a pervasive attitude of "all your packets belong to us."

I think its encouraging that there is still a body of opinion that thinks its unethical, and even plain wrong, for a carrier to track its customers so intensely. Moving customer data across borders to other legislative regimes may be convenient but what protections accompany the data export? Does a US regulatory framework protect the rights to privacy for individuals who are to them simply "aliens"?

I think the sarcastic tone from the news.com story is ill-placed - the issues relating to a right to expect a common carriage service to be used by common customer within basic terms of integrity and privacy of use are important underlying issues here. Having a common carriage provider spy of your every move via a third party operating in a different regulatory and legal regime, and presumably then position this offshore third party in a unique position to monetize this collected information, is not exactly a healthy development as far as I can tell.