[AusNOG] Anyone know how to... Cloud Storage

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellego.net
Wed Jun 27 01:45:55 EST 2012

Hey all,

I've been looking for a Cloud storage solution, but haven't succeeded in
finding exactly what I want so far.

I like Dropbox and Google Drive (especially GD), but they both have the
problem where they are replicating a primary user, then syncing to all
sources.

We're trying Google Drive now, and I've uploaded 30Gb of data, but that has
(as expected) sync'd to each machine the full 30Gb of shared files...
taking up lots of space.

What I really want is:

- Cloud stored as a primary point - not replicating an initial desktop
- Cache controlled - only cache xGb of data (full files) and perhaps just
pointers to the rest - especially rarely used things.
- Appears as a folder on the machine (like Dropbox/Google Drive)
- Security controls per share (or user)
- Full backups and version rollback

Google Drive/Dropbox on the iPad/Android do the caching well - only getting
what you need when you need it, and caching a certain amount.  Full OS
machines just sync everything it seems.

I have been asked many times if I know any solution like this... and
perhaps I just haven't come across it yet and it is out there.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
*

*
*Skeeve Stevens, CEO - *eintellego Pty Ltd
skeeve at eintellego.net ; www.eintellego.net

Phone: 1300 753 383; Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve

facebook.com/eintellego ;  <http://twitter.com/networkceoau>
linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/networkceoau ; blog: www.network-ceo.net

The Experts Who The Experts Call