[AusNOG] Telstra's Texan Teaser - Tin Foil Stetsun anyone?

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at mmc.com.au
Tue Jun 26 14:49:34 EST 2012

It's not clear:

(a) Why this is any better as an explanation?
(b) That this clarifies if this is legal - harvesting information from a telecommunications service AND passing that to a 3rd party offshore seems marginal at best.  Certainly as some of these links are not ones that, say, are visible to a search engine or public, and thus aren't that anonymous.

"However, Telstra has since clarified that the activity was conducted ahead of a launch of a voluntary web filtering offering for mobile users."

Except that this isn't voluntary - this is something that has been turned on without warning, without the ability to opt out.

MMC