[AusNOG] IPv6 DNS Providers in Australia

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Tue Jun 26 08:23:29 EST 2012

> > Very interesting - admittedly, the first I've heard of it. Are you aware of=
> > any applications that rely on this?
>
> Wrong question.  A better question would be what protocols didn't
> use a new type because DNS control panels didn't support it.  SPF[1],
> DKIM come to mind.

To be fair, pretty much every part of the infrastructure has been
incapable of supporting unknown types for most of the life of DNS. And
that mind-set was built into every operational component along with
nearby participants such as firewalls that helpfully block unknown
types.

Vendors that provided stub-caches like nscd and mDNSResponder along
with a muddle of confusing and type-specific client libraries only
made matters worse.

So it wasn't just control panels, there are probably 5-6 components in
the path of a query that did (or still do) need orchestrated fork-lift
upgraded to support new types. Such a daunting undertaking explains
why some of these TXT usurpers originally contemplated HTTP in
preference to DNS.

Mark.