[AusNOG] IPv6 DNS Providers in Australia

Jonathan Thorpe jthorpe at Conexim.com.au
Mon Jun 25 16:06:32 EST 2012

Hi Mark,

Very interesting - admittedly, the first I've heard of it. Are you aware of any applications that rely on this?

I don't think DNS operators go out of their way to provide a constraints to a set of RR types as rejection of the standard, but rather (in our case anyway) to provide a sane list of types that users can readily select. It helps in validating inputs (not just the type, but also the context of the data entered into the name and value fields) and avoids support calls.

If applications start taking advantage of RFC3597, it will force a rethink of how things are validated, but without having any demand for it, it's difficult to justify reworking management systems to support it.

Kind Regards,
Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Andrews [mailto:marka at isc.org]
Sent: Monday, 25 June 2012 3:38 PM
To: Jonathan Thorpe
Cc: Jim Woodward; AusNOG at lists.ausnog.net
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] IPv6 DNS Providers in Australia

In message <98518DB27649AF4EAFB2E355F71E60508B71006F at ISRV-EXCH-1.conexim.local>
, Jonathan Thorpe writes:
> Hi All,
>
> We do - we can't compete with some of the prices seen here, but it's
> hosted w ithin Australia from two separate data centres:
> http://www.conexim.com.au/dnsservices.php
>
> Redundant primary/secondary, queries accepted over IPv6 and we support
> AAAAs and long TXT records for DKIM.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Jonathan

RFC 3597 was written nearly a decade ago now.  There really is no excuse for any provider not accepting any type of DNS record.  This we only support types A, B, C and D does no one any favours and just makes it harder to deploy anything new.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org