[AusNOG] Telstra's Texan Teaser - Tin Foil Stetsun anyone?

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Mon Jun 25 11:58:24 EST 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 09:50:00AM +1000, Eric Pinkerton wrote:

 > "But in a short statement, Telstra's senior media boss Craig Middleton
 > said the company's wireless network management assured that "there is
 > nothing untoward in what the Whirlpool member has observed - it is a
 > normal network operation" NOTHING TO SEE HEAR MOVE ALONG.

Craig Middleton is being disingenuous there, because it isn't "normal
network operation" at all -- it's something that needs to be
specifically set up, using specialized configuration on specialized
equipment.

The issue from where I sit concerns the privacy implications of
NextG clickstream data being sent to third parties.

It's particularly egregious if the third parties concerned are
offshore, and hence beyond the reach of Australia's privacy protection
legislation.

I think Telstra has some explaining to do, and perhaps that explaining
needs to come from someone higher-up than Craig Middleton.

  - mark