[AusNOG] Telstra manipulating DNS to block botnets

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Jun 19 09:11:07 EST 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 06:59 +1000, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:

> Oh, and I should have pointed out earlier..  This 'quarantining' will
> still need to allow the customer to still use things like remote
> desktop, teamveiwer, logmein, etc to contact their regular remote
> support..

Pfft, why is it always the ISP's problem the end user has a virus, I've
suspended many services cold "until you fix your system" over the last
decade, this includes all types from all walks of life, I only ever
recall one person demanding his service back as I had no right to cut
him off, guess what, he stayed cut off until he got his act together,
99.999% of people were appreciative of the action which was always
preceded with a warning email.

> For that matter, same would go for quite a few of our remote-support
> customers as well - except then you're not dealing with a pensioner on
> a rampage, you're dealing with a business owner screaming 'loss of
> income!'.  Or does this quarantining still allow the customer to
> send/receive emails etc?

ISP's first and foremost responsibility is to its network and services
integrity, people who spend more time bitching about you suspending
their service rather than getting off their useless arse and fixing up
the problem they introduced to themselves are not worth bothering with,
a suspension is a suspension, we did it, I think Exetel still does it,
and there's likely others out there that do it.