[AusNOG] Firewall authentication from Telstra 3G connections

Eric Pinkerton Eric.Pinkerton at stratsec.net
Mon Jun 18 10:09:36 EST 2012

More to the point, depending on your APN etc, Many if not the majority of Telstra 3G connections get Natted, so by using firewall auth externally to permit traffic based upon IP, you could potentially expose your services to other Telstra 3G users.  This goes for any users using this service from a connection that is natted, which might be an extensive list.

We are for the most part talking a very conceptual, planets aligning sort of scenario here, but I would strongly suggest making use of a proper VPN, and only using firewall auth internally.

Regards

Eric Pinkerton
Principal Consultant
STRATSEC.NET PTY LTD