[AusNOG] Telstra manipulating DNS to block botnets

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sun Jun 17 18:11:49 EST 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 04:59:01PM +1000, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
> On 17/06/2012 3:39 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> >If you have a un-roadworth car you get it fixed before you go back
> >on the road. As the owner of the car it is your responsability to
> >get it fixed either by doing the repairs yourself or paying
> >someone to do it for you. It is a implicit part of owning a car.
> >The same should apply to compromised machines.

[...]

> The problem with your analogy there, is that for a decent proportion
> of folk, if their car breaks down, they'll simply go 'well, I can't
> afford to fix it, we'll cancel the rego and let it sit..'.  If ISP's
> are going to force users to get their computer 'fixed', or not have
> access to the internet, then they'll need to be willing to let the
> user out of whatever contract their in, with no break fee,

"with no break fee"... hah!  I assume you've never tried to get the unused
portion of your rego and insurance back.  I can say for sure and certain
that you don't get anywhere *close* to a fair percentage of the unused
period.

- Matt

--
Java/XML are the hammer and the Internet is the thumb.
		-- rone, in a place that does not exist