[AusNOG] Firewall authentication from Telstra 3G connections

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Fri Jun 15 13:43:15 EST 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Damien Gardner Jnr <rendrag at rendrag.net>wrote:

> Isn't that standard behaviour with any ISP with a (forced) proxy?  All
> HTTP requests come from the proxy IP, all other traffic comes from the end
> user's IP?

Not at all.  Any ISP doing a transparent proxy should be doing "IP
Spoofing" so that the connection still appears to come from the client IP
address. That's not to say that they all do, but...

That said, I would hope that the "authentication" is occurring over HTTPS,
and there's no reason any ISP should be running a transparent proxy for SSL
traffic.

  Scott