[AusNOG] Vocus cable photos

Jason Leschnik leschnik at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 13:10:57 EST 2012

There was some news about this recently, the traders in-land were
complaining because they had a distinct disadvantage to those in CBDs.
Meaning they would not see trends etc before their city counterparts.

#omfglagwtf

hehe

-Jason

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Stuart Wilson <stuart at endace.com> wrote:

>   Interesting.
>
>  We worked with several HFT (High Frequency Traders) in the US and they
> will "sell their grandmothers left arm for a uSec".  It turns out that in
> the HFT world, speed of transaction is much more significant than trading
> algorithm, and a uSec counts.
>
>  Spread Networks www.spreadnetworks.com setup a direct cable run between
> NYC and Chicago, spent a fortune on the installation (reportedly US$300m)
> which was a dedicated trench (literally) as line of sight rather than
> tracing all the small POPs in a zig-zag, 825 fibre miles, 13.1 mSec,
> shaving a (reputedly) 1.5 mSec off the flight time.
>
>  Also, take a look at McKay www.mckay-brothers.com who are proposing a
> microwave path (air is twice as fast as glass).  Has anyone starting
> setting up dedicated uWave across the harbor yet ?
>
>  The HFT guys will drive some interesting behavior in the Australian
> carrier market.
>
>  Stuart at endace.com
>
>   From: Lincoln Dale <ltd at aristanetworks.com>
> Date: Thursday, 14 June 2012 1:57 PM
> To: David Hughes <David at hughes.com.au>
>
> Cc: <ausnog at ausnog.net>
> Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Vocus cable photos
>
>  On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM, David Hughes <David at hughes.com.au>wrote:
>
>> Awesome stuff James!   I wonder if there was a commercial justification
>> for this or if it was just to get better bandwidth into the Vocus office in
>> North Sydney  :-)
>>

> If I were into betting, my money would be a few folks that care about
> every microsecond and want the most direct fiber path from the CBD to a
> certain facility in Gore Hill ...
>

> cheers,
>
> lincoln.
>
> power to see all
>

> This email (including any attachments) is intended to be read by the named
> recipient(s) only. If the email wasn’t addressed to you, you mustn’t use,
> distribute or copy any part of it. If you’ve received it in error please
> delete it (along with any attachments) and inform us of the error. Emails
> aren’t secure and can’t be guaranteed to be error free as they can be
> intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed. It’s your responsibility to check
> this email and any attachments for viruses. These risks are deemed accepted
> by everyone that communicates with us by email.

Regards,
Jason Leschnik.

[m] 0432 35 4224
[w@] jason dot leschnik <at> ansto dot gov dot au<jason.leschnik at ansto.gov.au>