[AusNOG] TX/RX Conventions

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at mmc.com.au
Wed Jun 13 10:44:17 EST 2012

On 13/06/2012, at 9:46 AM, Andrew Warburton wrote:

> Hi Tom, if required for NBN;
>
> When NBNco says these ports 3 & 4 are Tx & Rx it's usual to mean from NBNco perspective i.e. from NBNco equipment side facing the other party (Access Seeker) at the meetme room.
> Therefore port 3 is transmitting a signal out from NBNco to the Access Seeker and port 4 is receiving a signal in to NBNco from the Access Seeker

Variables I've seen from arranging services on four continents:

Room: Do you have the correct location for meeting?  The correct room?  The correct vertical/rack/row?  (eg. Global Switch MMR1/North or MMR2/South?)  Is Level 1 the Ground level or the first floor?   Have you got the correct side of the rack?
Physical: Are the ports labelled? Are they labelled horizontally, vertically, or some combo (eg.  2 above 1, 3 next to 1, etc)
Logical: Are the ports (a) what you should plug into (b) what the other side is doing?
XConnect: Is there a cross connect in the way that flips what you think is happening?
Optical: Are you SM,MM?  If SM are you 1550nm or 1310nm?   What speed?  1G, 10G?
Configuration: Where to even begin?  Auto Neg on/off?  LACP?

(Don't underestimate the "Room" one.  I've had a few examples where this wasn't obvious!)

MMC