[AusNOG] TX/RX Conventions

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 09:38:28 EST 2012

I just assumed that everyone does what we do. Plug it in one way, get no link light, so switch TX/RX around, plug it in the other way. If you've still got no link you go and check other stuff and then find someone to blame for it not working (carrier not activating the port, configuration on device wrong, etc).

There's probably a standard for it somewhere. The below document has a system for labelling them, not sure if thats a "standard" or something that company/vendor uses as their way of doing things:

http://www.ampnetconnect.com/documents/WHITEPAPER_Fiber_Polarity_Simplified_090813.pdf

It appears TIA/EIA-568-B.1-7 might contain some relevant information.

regards,
Tony.