[AusNOG] (Semi/Somewhat/Paritially)-automated network configuration management

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jul 27 14:15:48 EST 2012

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Paul Gear wrote:

> Just wondering about everyone's thoughts on this issue, and looking for product recommendations.  I have a couple of problems
> that i would like to solve with a network configuration management tool:
>  *  Find every occurrence of VLAN X on my entire network, across multiple switch vendors and models, report about it in a
>     boss-friendly format, and then produce (or help me produce) a script to change VLAN X to VLAN Y.
>  *  Gather my switch & router configs, along with CDP/LLDP data, and note any discrepancies in VLAN tagging between devices that
>     connect back-to-back.
>
> These are just examples, although they are real problems that i would like to solve in my current environment - i'm sure there
> are plenty more analytics that would be helpful as well.  It's 2012, and i can't understand why i can't find a canned
> (non-scripted) solution for this out there on the web.  Is it just my Google-fu failing, or are the tools still rudimentary?

I recently came across Netdot which can find every occurrence of VLAN X
across multiple switch vendors and models. It currently can't produce a
script, but it's perl so I can't imagine it'd be too hard. It also gathers
CDP/LLDP data and automagically maps the topology but I don't think it
will note discrepancies. It will generate a (very messy) graph of VLANs
between switches. Again, perl.

https://osl.uoregon.edu/redmine/projects/netdot

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |