[AusNOG] Load Balancer Experience / recommendations ?

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Thu Jul 26 15:00:53 EST 2012

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Sean K. Finn wrote:
> I'm after some advice for the best, practical, and current generation
> server load balancers that people are using at present.

The answers are a little different depending on what protocols, features
(especially http caching), load and budget you have.

Like others have said if money is no object the go for F5s . They can
handle any protocol you want and any insane rule you'd like. Not tried
their http caching functions

For http caching I'd recomend varnish. 5,000 req/second on modest
hardware in real-world situations without trying. A lot more than that
possible. Insanely flexable rules. It also does basic load balancing.

Haproxy is also a pretty good load balancer. Rack solid and widely
deployed. Not as configurable as F5s especially for protocols other than
http.

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.