[AusNOG] Load Balancer Experience / recommendations ?

Sean K. Finn sean.finn at ozservers.com.au
Thu Jul 26 12:40:13 EST 2012

You're all beginning to scare me with the linux talk!

Thanks for all replies off list..

So far, Off List there have been..

Several plusses for F5 Gear (Which have a trial VMware VM that you can demo, apparently, from one source, but from another source I've been told to avoid the VM LB in production and use the hardware device) (Of course!) http://www.f5.com/products/big-ip/
Several ' I Use' Brocade ADX's http://www.brocade.com/adx
Several 'Check into Riverbed Stingray' http://www.riverbed.com/us/products/stingray/

And one Fortinet /Fortigate recommendation from Mr Macko of Intervolve ;) http://www.fortinet.com/products/fortigate/80C.html / http://www.fortinet.com/products/fortigate/200B.html

On the diy front:
https://www.varnish-cache.org/ - Credit Network Man (Mark Newton)
http://www.keepalived.org/ - Credit Julian, who likes to build his own kernels from scratch, in binary, in the dark, without a monitor, using only a serially attached dot matrix printer as his terminal.
And one anonymous recommendation for http://www.linux-ha.org/wiki/Main_Page

Lots of options!

The general consensus so far seems to be 'Grab some hardware F5 if you can afford it'.

S.