[AusNOG] IPv6 is hard.

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sat Jul 21 23:58:13 EST 2012

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 11:31:02PM +1000, Joseph Goldman wrote:
> I definitely agree it is not something to be ignored, and sooner
> rather than later would be better, I was simply pointing out that
> those in smaller teams with limited time and limited resources, with
> no official deadline or impending threat looming over us in the
> immediate future, for some, it has taken a lower priority.

Except that there *is* an impending threat looming over you -- that IPv6
will appear indispensible all of a sudden, without sufficient warning for
you to be able to deploy it within your organization quickly enough.

> I also happen to be in as you point out a fairly good position of
> having a fair amount of spare IPv4. But this is my unique position.

That you have IPv4 addresses spare won't help very much when another
organisation with which you wish to interconnect does not.  On the other
hand, those surplus IPv4 addresses may come in awful handy to help fund your
IPv6 deployment, as long as you don't wait too long and find everyone else
has already done their deployments and your IPv4 addresses rapidly
depreciate.

- Matt