[AusNOG] Restarting IPSEC

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Wed Jul 11 09:33:48 EST 2012

Hi Yuri,
> I’ve tried Netcomm NTC-6908 and Cisco SRP 541W. Netcomm drops out every 30 minutes, Cisco dropouts every hour.

Probably not the right list for technical support, but what you are seeing is normal Phase 2 re-keying.  I'm not all that familiar with Fortigate, but a quick google shows that the default P2 key lifetime is 1800 seconds [1], which is ties in nicely with your logs (and seems awfully short IMHO).

You generally always see a small blip during a re-key, but on some kit phase 2 is re-negotiated prior to the previous key expiring in order to minimise this disruption.

I would increase the Fortigate's P2 lifetime up to 28800 or something similar:

config vpn ipsec phase2
edit <tunnel_name>
set keylifeseconds 28800

and then do the same on your spoke devices (Netcomm/Cisco).

[1] http://docs.fortinet.com/fgt/handbook/40mr3/fortigate-cli-40-mr3.pdf

Cheers,

Ben