[AusNOG] AAPT Ethernet outage

Chris Hurley chris at minopher.net.au
Sat Jul 7 01:38:31 EST 2012

People only realise the cost once an incident occurs. The bean counters just
weave their magic and say..... "It's been good X months, cost of redundant
Y, cost of no service $0, all is good". They just don't realise that many
many business now rely on the "Net" being up.

As an aside how many have noticed in particularly small business that it's
the accountant that is the 'defacto" IT expert. When many accounts don't
know squat about IT?

The extra factor that very few have considered in the "rush" to the cloud is
the fact no Net = no accounts/billing/stock. Yep it's "great" MYOB are
offering "cloud" solutions for their accounting program - but no
connectivity = no service = no work.