[AusNOG] Interception?

Brad Henshaw brad.henshaw at qcn.com.au
Fri Jul 6 10:46:09 EST 2012

Jake Anderson wrote:

> The problem is at least 50% of users don't know what an address bar
is.
> If they see *any* error page 15 seconds later a "your server is down"
> phone call appears (yes even for a 404 on *any* website).

Yup. There's little you can do about that. Basic training may improve
the
percentages a little, but when you're dealing with the general public
the most you can do is some basic written instruction.

> People really have no concept at all about how the Internet works,
> actually if somebody had some kind of training package on that I'd be
> interested.

True. But they wouldn't be interested in the training. People don't care
how stuff works. They just want it to work.

People browse the Internet but wouldn't know what an IP address looks
like. They drive their cars but wouldn't have a clue of the mechanics
and
electronics behind it. They plough into their steaks but give not a
thought
to the slaughter of the beast.

These things won't change.

Sometimes we can assist people via technical means; sometimes we can
try to get them to help themselves through procedural means; the rest
of the time we just need to deal with the phone calls!

Regards,
Brad