[AusNOG] Interception?

Brad Henshaw brad.henshaw at qcn.com.au
Fri Jul 6 09:14:30 EST 2012

Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> These kinds of solutions are always a pain in the ass. With So many
platforms
> (Windows, Mac, Blackberry, iDevices, Android, etc) then Browsers
(Chrome,
> IE, Firefox, Safari) and the way each of them does things differently
is really
> a killer for developers.
> I am trying to avoid the browser warning.  I don't really want to
intercept the
> HTTPS, I just want to make sure the users get to the HTTP main portal
page.

Maybe I'm just a luddite but it seems to me that the most feasible
solution is to deal with the limitations of the system and manage this
as a procedural issue.

Print an instruction card for all guests informing them (a) how to
configure their wireless interface on the devices of choice and (b) to
launch a web browser and browse to http://<auth-portal> before trying to
use the Internet.

Inform reception staff (or whomever is relevant) to have this as the
first stage of troubleshooting. Preferably, even have them brief guests
on arrival - which also gives the business an excuse to highlight the
presence of the [probably costly] service offered.

"did you follow the instructions on the card? Did you visit
<auth-portal> in your browser? No? Well do it." <thwack with a LART>

I doubt this would gain you any more support calls than you already
receive because a given user can't figure out how to associate their
ancient wifi-free blackberry to the wireless network.

Of course this doesn't address your question around resolving the issue
by technical means... but tough titties.

Regards,
Brad