[AusNOG] AAPT Ethernet outage

Christopher Pollock chris at ionetworks.com.au
Thu Jul 5 11:53:03 EST 2012

For small businesses who don't understand technology, it's very difficult
to make them think about it.  You generally need to force them to think
about what would actually happen to them if $thing fails, and how much it
would cost them in that event.  Some will listen and genuinely consider it,
others refuse to.  It's those that refuse to that really confuse me,
because everyone should have done a risk analysis on their business.  If
the main risk to being able to conduct business is the Internet being
offline then perhaps that should rebalance things?  But it doesn't.  The
same people tend to store their entire business history on a $100
single-disk NAS.. which they then leave on a hardwood floor where it gets
shaken, not stirred.

But generally it's not until one of those things goes wrong and then it's
off to data recovery to pay $2400 for clean-room recovery for them to
realise that their business could cease to exist for the want of a spare
hard drive, or cease to trade because someone downstairs broke the MDF.

So a week without Internet is a week without revenue.. maybe protect it?  :F

--
Christopher Pollock,
io Networks Pty Ltd.
e. chris at ionetworks.com.au