[AusNOG] "All your router devices are belong to us"

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Mon Jul 2 11:05:32 EST 2012

There are a few [1] other [2] vendors [3] that have been pushing the cloud-based management of enterprise network devices for some time now.  Admittedly non of these guys have the pervasiveness of the big C, but they are popping up around the place, and if Cisco is pursuing this then I imagine customers must be asking for it.

The "all-in-the-cloud" message is pretty compelling for some enterprise shops whose core business is not IT, but for reasons already raised, the off-shore privacy and security implications remain largely unexplored and often simply ignored.

On the technical side though, the biggest issue I see is that the time when most enterprises need access to network management/monitoring the most is when something is down, and that something can just as easily be/is usually "the cloud".  The rest of the time, the blinking boxes in the cupboard just work.

Interesting times ahead.

[1] http://www.meraki.com/
[2] http://www.aerohive.com
[3] http://www.thecloud.net/