[AusNOG] 3G Broadband OOB network suggestions

Anand Kumria akumria at acm.org
Wed Jan 18 22:29:18 EST 2012

Hi,

I'm sure most of you have an OOB network, and I'm now finding I have
some clients where I now have the same need.

So I'm looking for some solutions, I'm tending towards 3G Broadband
but am open to others; rough requirements

 - works with Windows, Mac OS *and* Linux (I can leave some on the
client site, and have them install into any available computer to
diagnose their internal network that way)
 - provides a static IP (v4 or v6 acceptable) address
 - at least 1G / month; with options to increase should a 'problem' occur.

Slightly different use cases at different clients:

 - for some, it'll be used to monitor both internal / external
networks without perturbing them
 - for others, it'll be used as a means of last resort remote access
during an outage

Unfortunately none of the clients are large enough to warrant dual-homing.

Replies welcome off-list and I'll summarise responses back to the list
in a few days.

Thanks,
Anand

--
“Don’t be sad because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss