[AusNOG] Data Suburb

John Edwards john at netniche.com.au
Fri Jan 6 08:13:24 EST 2012

On 05/01/2012, at 8:02 AM, Lincoln Dale wrote:

> its also not "poor" given the ambient temperatures seen in the geography where the site is located.
> the physical site is more about where there is "cheap power" and "cheap land", not "optimal ambient temperatures".
> i'd hate to see how much water they go through though!

High Ambient temperature is not necessarily the determining factor in your cooling power costs.

If you're prepared to use evaporative cooling, you can get an energy "free ride" down to the "wet bulb temperature".

In hot, dry climates like Nevada, Adelaide, or even Western Sydney, it's possible to run the cooling for a datacentre more efficiently than an equivalent facility by the sea. This may seem counter-intuitive, but most things in thermodynamics are :)

There's an argument that evaporative cooling wastes precious water - but in a country like ours where we burn stuff to make steam to get energy, it's a lesser evil.

Seeley in Adelaide have developed their "climate wizard" product to take advantage of this phenomenon and reduce energy costs, so it can be used to pre-cool the air for a more traditional air conditioning plant, or replace it altogether where high air flows are appropriate (not usually a problem in a DC!).

John