[AusNOG] Data Suburb

McDonald Richards macca at vocus.com.au
Thu Jan 5 11:59:06 EST 2012

Lots of interesting talk on PUE ­ but from what my own research told me in
the past, it was not a metric that could be used to compare facilities that
were not completely alike.

One example:
http://notesfromtheconsultantsjungle.com/2010/12/20/pue-hype-and-setting-rea
listic-expectations/

Another example was an article I can't find right now which mentioned that
data centre operators may cut corners (compromised redundancy etc) to reduce
power consumption. It'll improve their PUE, but the risk of failure inside
the facility is greatly increased.

It isn't a metric that can be used by itself, but something that should be
taken into consideration with all other factors IMO.

Macca