[AusNOG] Data Suburb

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at nextdc.com
Thu Jan 5 10:14:48 EST 2012

Over simplification of a very, very complex subject.  It's rather disingenuous to pretend that a 300KW "server room" is comparable to a 100MW IT load facility (admittedly in 6 rooms).  I've seen their cooling systems first hand and its outstanding with excellent levels of redundancies that you don't find in other facilities.  There is always a PUE hit on large scale colocation facilities which are designed economically and to scale economically.  Completely agree good design now substantially limits this (containment, free air cooling, some UPS technologies), but to pretend it is able to be all but completely avoided is not constructive in my opinion, particularly when you talk about scale.

1.24 PUE in the middle of the Nevada desert is an outstanding result particularly considering the high daytime temperatures, dust storms/particulate which require the more traditional cooling techniques during these times.  I would suggest this is at full capacity and not part load.

[b]

Their UPS's are actually providing protected power, not some efficient bypass technique which "kicks in" when there is a problem to.