[AusNOG] Data Suburb

Tony de Francesco tonyd at pue.com.au
Wed Jan 4 23:52:09 EST 2012

Poor PUE at part load is an excuse for poor design.

There is no theoretical reason why PUE should be much, if any, worse at part
load compared to full load. It largely comes down to the choice of
technologies and how they are controlled.

A good case in point is a 300kW (peak capacity) data centre we are
monitoring in Melbourne.  It is less than 15% full and is still operating at
a PUE of around 1.15 in winter and around 1.30 in summer. As the load
increases we are expecting the PUE to stay about the same or maybe increase
slightly.

Kind Regards

Tony de Francesco
Technical Director