[AusNOG] International link issue

Terry Manderson terry at terrym.net
Fri Feb 24 21:40:09 EST 2012

"forcing" things in the routing system is a concept that raises the hairs on many people's necks. Generally speaking when something is forced onto the business relationships that facilitate the BGP exchanges, it sounds an heck of a lot like regulation.

I would much rather see technology voluntarily adopted that makes sense from both a security PoV and an operational one. IE it's just so damn good. It may be that the RIRs are the locus for such an effort, both locally and internationally. Internationally that may not be an easy road. Locally it may be simpler.

My recommendation would be to think deeply about what it is you want to achieve, how you would effect that change of status quo, and consider how you get your management to pay for the (your) effort (*). Perhaps a "by doing this we don't end up as a bad guy in the newspapers for breaking the internet" might be one.. I'm sure there are others.

(*) Everything costs, regardless if you do it, the RIR does it, a CERT does it, or some other trustable organisation that you like.

Cheers
Terry