[AusNOG] Powerline Adapters

Lloyd Wood lloyd.wood at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 21 09:41:50 EST 2012

Probably Homeplug/IEEE 1901.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1901

Lloyd Wood
lloyd.wood at yahoo.co.uk
http://sat-net.com/L.Wood

________________________________
 From: Skeeve Stevens <skeeve+ausnog at eintellego.net>
To: ausnog at ausnog.net
Sent: Tuesday, 21 February 2012, 8:37
Subject: [AusNOG] Powerline Adapters

Hey all,

Re: http://media.netcomm.com.au/public/assets/pdf_file/0012/89886/NP504-Spec-Sheet.pdf

Does anyone know conceptually how these things work?

At home I have hard core walls where wireless is practically useless, so a while ago I installed the 100mb version of the Netcomm power line devices.  My life has been happy every since, albeit at 100mb - which is a bit poopie.

I will be buying the above to get more speed to the server I access at home which isn't in my office, but…. I wanted to know if anyone understood HOW these things actually work.

In an ethernet environment you have a cable, it speed is dedicated to that cable.

But these devices are not point-to-point - but maybe they communicate that way?. At home I have them in 4 different rooms, and they all talk to the server… but I don't know how, or, most importantly, how well these units operate.

If these new devices are 500Mbps - what does that mean.  Does it mean on a point-to-point link with only two of them, it is 500Mbps.  What happens when you add a third, fourth or fifth unit.

So… (A) being the main unit in the lounge with the server attached, and (B) being home office 1, (C) being home office 2 and (D) being bedroom (we have a Boxee box! ;-)

I guess the question is, what is the speed when B,C,D are all talking to A, and what is happening is A and B are talking and C and D are talking - do they 'interfere' with each other?

If they are on the same power circuit, using the same 'frequency' (I don't know what it is called) - or is it like wireless - with channels or… ok, I am doing my head in.

I'm really interested to know how these work, because I could see them being useful in that running 500Mbps for up to 200m could be a very interesting last ditch, or interim solution in the right situation.

I am sure people here have had some experience with these kinds of things.  They claim they 'just work' and given I have 4 of the units at home with never a single problem or bit of config done, I can attest to that.

Skeeve Stevens, CEO
eintellego Pty Ltd
skeeve at eintellego.net ; www.eintellego.netPhone: 1300 753 383 ; Fax: (+612) 8572 9954
Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve
facebook.com/eintellego
twitter.com/networkceoau ; www.linkedin.com/in/skeeve
PO Box 7726, Baulkham Hills, NSW 1755 Australia

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco – Brocade - IBM