[AusNOG] ubiquitous peering

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Dec 21 14:03:02 EST 2012

On 20/12/2012 17:39, Michael Kahl wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> I agree in the sense that it's not feasible, or even desirable for the NBN to build
> modern, highly dense datacentres at each POI site.
...recalling that all but 10 of the NBN PoIs will be inside existing Telstra exchange
buildings, with all the limitations that entails. Transmission providers have to
negotiate a facilities access agreement with Telstra as well as with NBN Co to bring
fibre through the Telstra spaces to the NBN ODF. Rack space is limited to what will
fit inside the NBN cage inside the Telstra exchange room - think TEBA nested inside TEBA.
NBN Co, for the most part, aren't building anything but cyclone-mesh or a proxcard
door lock.

> Why not use a model where any access seeker can buy their rack space, buy their
> power, and then use that space and power in any way they see fit? As the POI sites
> are not purpose designed datacentres the power and space will more than likely come
> at a premium price over a purpose designed facility, so will only be used when there
> is a clear benefit in doing so.

...last I heard there is only planned to be roughly 7 racks total in any PoI for all
RSP or transmission provider gear. Apart from RSP switching and routing, ROADM and
associated DWDM kit isn't small in size. Which RSPs would you like to see buy up all
the space, and leave no space for anyone else following? Any RSP planning to occupy
more than a quarter-rack might be considered greedy.

> I'm not arguing that the NBN should be involved in what gets hosted and where it is
> hosted, exactly the opposite actually in that they should give as much flexibility
> as possible to the access seekers to innovate and have the ability to use network to
> its full potential. Artificial restrictions on what can and can't be placed in a POI
> just seem to completely fly in the face of the whole justification for building the
> network in the first place.
How? The whole justification for building the network is to provide some
wholesale/retail separation and rate/reach improvement in the local access network.
What can and can't be done inside a PoI - by definition, outside the NBN network
boundary - has never been part of the justification for the network.

Think about it - what you are asking for could be built by any and all enterprising
commercial businesses in the building/car-park/shipping-container(s) next door to the
Telstra exchange PoI building, with a high-count fibre cable through the wall to the
NBN ODF. Instead,  you are advocating for the NBN to spend more public money building
datacentre infrastructure and equipment hosting space that the private competitive
market could do instead, killing off another opportunity for the commercial marketplace.
Some feel they have done quite enough of that already.

Artificial restrictions on what can and can't be placed in a POI are there for a very
deliberate reason - to help contain the NBN distortion-field to only the markets they
are supposed to be distorting.

Paul.

--
Paul