[AusNOG] ubiquitous peering

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Thu Dec 20 09:18:33 EST 2012

I would think content broadcasters would be right on to the multicast
facility. They dont want their content on the mean bad internet in any
case they are scared of it by nature. The multicast option is a good
option for  NBN to sell there service to players like foxtel without the
need to mention the nasty "I" Word.  Remember these guys (foxtel) are
allready pissed with the government for turning their HFC network into
scrap copper.  They are going to be a hard sell to begin with. Of cause
this could all change with a change of government.  Make's it hard for
people to know which way to jump.

On 20/12/12 12:12 AM, Michael Kahl wrote:
> There may be benefits to peering within an NBN POI at some stage in
> the future if full end to end connectivity is restored (no NAT) or if
> there's a peer to peer "killer app" that dramatically changes traffic
> patterns, but for now even for the biggest players I'm guessing the
> traffic levels would make it difficult to even justify the port costs
> of peering within a POI, let alone buying cross connects, rackspace, etc.
>
> What seems really shortsighted of the NBN is that there's basically no
> provision for directly serving content to the end user out of the POI,
> and looking at most of the sites even if the NBN wanted to allow it
> they're going to be severely limited by lack of power and space with
> the sites they've chosen.
>
> This might not be a huge issue today in Australia seeing as there's
> very limited options available for streaming HD content, but it's only
> a matter of time. What happens when we have a Netflix available over
> here? Or even when Foxtel work out that broadcasting content is a
> thing of the past and people want the content they pay for available
> when they want it, ie streaming on demand.
>
> In the US the CDN's are already pushing into the local exchanges to
> keep up with the growing demand, but what happens next here? Is NBN
> confident in its bet that we won't need local content in the network
> that it says will be getting us through the next 50 years?
>

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM, Tom Sykes <tomsykes at nbnco.com.au
> <mailto:tomsykes at nbnco.com.au>> wrote:
>
>     This is one of the reasons why we are installing a series of RSP
>     co-location racks in all the POIs (I.e to enable someone to setup
>     a peering point of they wished. We understand traffic volumes
>     today may not necessarily justify it just yet though)
>

>     Regards
>     Tom Sykes
>     NBN Co Limited
>

>     On 19/12/2012, at 5:43 PM, "Joseph Goldman" <joe at apcs.com.au
>     <mailto:joe at apcs.com.au>> wrote:
>
>     > The problem seems as you suggest, having full L3 gear at each
>     POI, possible for some, not for others who would probably rather
>     L2 link it straight back to a more central POP.
>     >
>     > However the idea has merit, I believe Adam Internet do a similar
>     thing with their ADSL2+ Infrastructure in South Australia. I only
>     read a little bit about it but I believe it is what you are
>     talking about (exchange based peering) but they control it in the
>     sense of having a community server in that area (newsgroups or DC
>     or <other p2p protocol>. I can't seem to find much info on it now
>     though.
>     >
>     >
>     > On 19/12/12 5:38 PM, Jake Anderson wrote:
>     >> So I was wondering and the list seems quiet.
>     >> With P2P content (games, skype etc not just torrents) soaking a
>     decent amount of traffic, and the NBN having relatively few
> [...]

/* Matt Perkins
         Direct 1300 137 379     Spectrum Networks Ptd. Ltd.
         Office 1300 133 299     matt at spectrum.com.au
         Fax    1300 133 255     Level 6, 350 George Street Sydney 2000
         SIP 1300137379 at sip.spectrum.com.au
         PGP/GNUPG Public Key can be found at  http://pgp.mit.edu
*/