[AusNOG] Cisco Q-in-Q config on AAPT e-Line

James Matthews james.matthews.au at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 12:33:03 EST 2012

Well, it depends how advanced your switch is. What model is it? The
more metro-ethernet oriented switches would be able to inspect an
inner VLAN tag and explicitly pull it out.

Otherwise you'd normally pull it out to a port with "switchport mode
dot1q-tunnel" and "l2protocol-tunnel" and your ethernet cable coming
out of this port would be in effect a a trunk port containing VLAN 8,
91 and 22 and whatever else you choose to put in it.

The actual port connecting to AAPT itself would remain a trunk and is
transparent to the fact there is QinQ happening on one VLAN. One
caveat, make sure your MTU is high enough, 1500 won't cut it when you
start adding QinQ frame headers.

Regards,

James