[AusNOG] Server BW limits

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Sun Aug 26 17:20:28 EST 2012

It will fall when content providers who peer with most of the other ISPs
have their transit links saturated and customers at the big 4 (mostly
telstra and optus) want to improve their speeds. Currently that isn't
really happening because said providers can afford to pay to keep the
transit links below 80%.

NBN will be interesting, it probably won't make much difference to domestic
transit unless through economies of scale, the real problem is the last
mile price which currently without NBN means being reamed by one of the big
4 even just for backhaul let alone the copper or port pricing depending on
how much gear/networking an ISP has.

If there was a little more cooperation amongst the top 10 non-gang-of-4
they could probably do something about it. Or if the government just
stepped in and told them to stop being assholes :D