[AusNOG] Adding Routes via Custdata (Telstra)

Ryan Tucker Ryan.Tucker at rgtech.com.au
Fri Aug 24 16:32:16 EST 2012

Hey Guys,

Sorry to swing a little towards the consumer side, but no one at Telstra business support seems to be able to answer this question, or even understand what I'm talking about.

I have an office with 2 telstra business broadband services, one Ethernet and one DSL. I plan to use the ability to add routes in custdata to use these two connections to provide redundancy/multihomeing for a public subnet (provided by Telstra) for the office. The Ethernet service will be the primary, the dsl will be the backup.

In custdata, the "add route" page for Ethernet services allows you to set the route as Low or Normal priority, however the "add route" page for DSL connections does not let you set a priority.

My question is, if I set a normal priority route to this subnet via the Ethernet service, and also add a route to the subnet via the DSL (where I can't set a priority), which route will have the higher priority? Are routes on DSL lower by default? Will this work to fail over to the DSL if the Ethernet goes offline?

Alternatively, is there some other Telstra number I can call where they won't ask me what "route" means?

Thanks in advance, and sorry again for the peasant noise.

Ryan.