[AusNOG] Data retention laws quietly being passed

Steve Lisson SteveL at dedicatedservers.net.au
Thu Aug 23 15:13:31 EST 2012

Hi,

They still need a warrant, same rules as before, all I can see (solely
from comments here) is that request the data retention is started
earlier than the warrant being issued, not their access to the
information.

With how long I have personally seen it take for them to 'get the ball
rolling' on internet users blackmailing other internet users (and then
the behaviour having stopped by the time they were 'in-gear') I actually
see this as a positive step!

They still need to qualify for the warrant, if they don't get it they
don't get the information anyway. Have not read the legislation I do not
know if it is there, but maybe a time limit be imposed if not one
already? 24hrs, 48hrs or 1 week and then retained data destroyed?

Steve