[AusNOG] Data retention laws quietly being passed

Paul Wallace paul.wallace at mtgi.com.au
Thu Aug 23 09:16:24 EST 2012

I remember the days when the Federal Labour party SUPPORTED rights and opposed big brother.

I think we should institute a Federal Politicians Ombudsman, force all MPs to become members (in the same way they force all Telco's to join the TIO) then make those members pay fines in a similar way to how the TIO currently fines Telcos each time anyone objects or complains.

The new Ombudsman will not receive any Government funding, thus relying 100% on the fine revenue metered out to Politicians.

Ombudsman will not be provided with any power to bind complainants per the TIOs similar position today.

.. and will embrace 100% of complaints, no matter how disengenous, frivolous or even vexatious .. after all. if they rejected any complaints as such then they'd lose revenue so even complaints with no breaching Politicians basic rights will be investigated and a fine will be issued.

Additionally if the Politician at issue is advised that he has grounds to commence proceedings against the complainant then he will have to pay the complainants costs in those proceedings.

Think I'm being silly now? Well no sadly, that is precisely how the TIO operates today!

The last point re the need to pay their Costs in Proceedings occurs when proceedings are commenced by the Telco whilst a complaint remains before the TIO.

This legislation on top of the same crowd's passing of legislation banning the deployment of fibre into homes renders them as perhaps the worst Government since the war IMHO.

It also now makes me wonder how long it will be before Stephen Conroy floats his 'filter' bill again.

Sent from my iPhone powered by Polyfone Telecom