[AusNOG] CommBank - GLSB causing issues with failing IPv6 lookup

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Aug 16 11:13:40 EST 2012

In message <119DF66A-380D-4F54-B4DB-00448E687BA9 at mmc.com.au>, Matthew Moyle-Cro
ft writes:
> Hi,
> If anyone who is an internet plumber in the depths of CommBank who can have a
>  look at an issue or knows one who can:
>
> If a customer has IPv6 enabled then one of your GLSBs is not giving SERVFAIL
> errors on AAAA record lookups, causing a timeout for netbanking:
>
> Have a look at: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1963773#r3
>
> (Note: I'm not a Commbank customer nor an Internode employee, just an IPv6 ge
> ek trying to make the world a better place).
>
> For anyone else with GSLBs - maybe have a config check etc to make sure you'r
> e not creating suckage.
>
> MMC

Well looking up the addresses of gslb2.commbank.com.au currently
fails but otherwise the answer are "ok", if not optimal.

The load balancers don't understand EDNS (RFC 2671, August 1999) and
they don't emit cachable negative answers (RFC 2308, March 1998).

Supporting both of these would help their customers.  The lack of
RFC 2671 suppprt just doubles the query load.  The lack of RFC 2308
means that any IPv6 enabled client has to wait for the local resolver
to lookup the AAAA records everytime the client wants to connect.
Even the A records have a 20 second ttl.

Mark