[AusNOG] Centralised firewall policy management - recommendations?

Eric Pinkerton Eric.Pinkerton at stratsec.net
Tue Aug 14 09:24:55 EST 2012

Depends upon how you define 'Management'...and upon what you already have in place...
I would say that there is no 'typical solution', companies in my experience have numerous firewalls, in numerous sites from numerous vendors, and the management solution is more often dictated by the firewall vendor in each case, so where you have Checkpoint, smart console etc and you have central management but if you have Juniper or Cisco, central management might be something that only gets added as an afterthought...
Gartner did a compelling piece a while back opposing the traditional approach of using different vendors in line, so if you were setting up a green field operation today then you might be more inclined to stick mostly with a single vendor.
In most cases you will end up with some different vendors, so your choice of solution will be dictated by this and your budget.  In reality this is likely to be a combination of products including whatever you already have in place, or whatever your people are comfortable with, Open Source Monitoring (Such as Cacti) Rancid for Config Backups etc, Anything from Splunk or Arcsite to SyslogNG for log correlation,  Vendor specific tools (CP Smart Centre, Juniper NSM, FortiAnalyser, Cisco NCM/WORKS, WatchGuard WSM, PA Panorama  etc etc etc) and if you have any money left, you will want to look very seriously at Algosec, Firemon or Tufin etc...