[AusNOG] M2 buy Primus

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at mmc.com.au
Mon Apr 16 13:43:50 EST 2012

On 16/04/2012, at 1:06 PM, Paul Brooks wrote:

> On 16/04/2012 1:29 PM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
>>

>> Also interesting
>> today: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-16/vodafone-to-offer-fixed-line-services/3952846
>>
>> Vodafone going to do fixed line in AU.  Suspect times will never be uninteresting in
>> Australian telecommunications.
>
> Been wondering when they would get around to doing this - since Vodafone NZ bought
> ihug (from iiNet) in late 2006, and several other countries globally where Voda does
> fixed-line as well as mobile for almost a decade.

I suspect NBN as a level playing field makes this a good time to enter the market.  Am kind of surprised they didn't acquire an existing customer base to do this, but maybe longer term a "clean" environment was better?  Wasn't sure if Voda themselves were going to be acquired in AU to pull this off.   Bundling of mobile and NBN is going to be the way forward.  Optus had better make sure their mobile network is good if they're going to continue to be really the only major wholesaler of mobile.

So, where's the betting pool on who's buying who next?  How's TPG's stealth buying of iiNET stock going?

MMC