[AusNOG] Preparing 100s of routers for resale

Thomas Sulkiewicz TSulkiewicz at Toshiba-TAP.com
Fri Apr 13 12:36:51 EST 2012

I agree,

I think the time it would take to plug in a network cable you might just want to plug in the console cable instead. Too many variables if you actually have to log into the box, you're going to spend more time trying to figure out the login and looking for the device on the network then you would just blowing it away via rommon/confreg.

Thomas Sulkiewicz
Senior Network Engineer
TOSHIBA (Aust) Pty Ltd | Management Information Systems
p:  +612 9887 6599
m: +614 5000 4022
f: +61 2 9815 6285
e: tsulkiewicz at toshiba-tap.com<mailto:tsulkiewicz at toshiba-tap.com>

From: ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net [mailto:ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net] On Behalf Of Eric Pinkerton
Sent: Friday, 13 April 2012 11:59 AM
To: Jake Anderson; hannah commodore
Cc: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Preparing 100s of routers for resale

Depends if you already know the IP's and credentials of these devices, or can knock up a script to guess the IP, and credentials from a set list,.  If not I think it would be more practical to script a console boot/break/password recovery and use a terminal server to scale it if needs be.

Also you need to weigh up the time it takes to get a junior to do this manually against the value of spending time attempting to automate it.

Might warrant a different approach if you had a few thousand to do rather than a few hundred...